In this newsletter, we are excited to share with you updates on our Wit & Wisdom work, highlights from our Parent Ambassador pilot initiative, and community announcements.
We also want to wish everyone a happy holiday and happy new year!
Parent Ambassador Pilot Initiative
Our Parent Ambassador project at Liberty Elementary has been live since October. Families across Baltimore have shared with us that they would like to get more information about their child’s literacy instruction. This includes information like their child’s reading level, topics they are learning in class, and skills to reinforce at home. We also learned from families that digital communication is a welcomed way to share information with busy parents. Currently, there are two Parent Ambassadors for 1st grade at Liberty Elementary School who are serving as the intermediaries between teachers and families so that regular information is shared. The ambassadors share weekly information through Instagram, visit classrooms regularly, and meet with the teachers on an on-going basis.
Wit & Wisdom Parent Tips/Activities
We are working with City Schools to revise and expand the parent tip sheets that align with the English Language Arts (ELA) curriculum, Wit & Wisdom, for grades K-3. These parent tip sheets will provide families with detailed information on each module along with fun activities to do at home that align with each curriculum module. We are aiming to launch some new tip sheets by the end of January that will have more activities and resources for parents. Please stay tuned!
If you are interested in learning more about our parent engagement and literacy work, you can listen to this podcast to hear what we’ve been up to.
- Do you know about The Fund’s Heart of the School Fund Awards? Any Baltimore City Public School principal can apply for up to $5,000 for their school for a wide-range of school projects including after-school programs, technology, professional development, and more! The next grant deadline is January 3rd! Find out more here: https://www.heartoftheschools.org/application
- The 2020 Heart of the School Award principal nominations open Wednesday, January 1, 2020 and accept submissions the entire month of January. Anyone – student, parent, school staff, community member or organizational leader – can nominate a Baltimore City principal who has positively impacted you, your family or your community. Award criteria and details on the quick nomination process can be found at https://www.heartoftheschools.org/selectionprocess.
- Want some stress-busting holiday literacy tips to share with families? Check them out here.
- Parents in Baltimore City just started a new podcast called the Parent Power Hour Podcast, to express frustrations and improve relationships between teachers and school administrators. Here is more information: https://dmvdaily.news/parents-empower-themselves-in-a-fresh-new-podcast/
- Check out the new “Macy’s Style” windows for the holidays at the Enoch Pratt Central Library.